Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Break Up Playlist

Honestly, why is there not a "I'm in a Break Up" playlist anywhere? You'd think that all radio stations would have cashed in on this by now. However, I have devised my own playlist. Feel free to take some for yourself and post songs that have helped you in your own process. This is not a complete list, yet these are songs that I found devastatingly moving, painfully optimistic or downright just a good jam I like hearing.


1. Silver Spring- Fleetwood Mac: Stevie Nicks speaks to my soul. I really love her voice (who doesn't), her style and her strong willed ambition. But also, this song is viciously honest and held true to speak the story of my divorce.

2. Bled White- Elliot Smith: This song speaks of pouring it all out. Super great.

3. Beast of Burden- The Rolling Stones: This had been my anthem for years, until I in fact became a beast of burden. This song is magnificently catchy, makes the heartbreak not so obvious.

4. Night Still Comes- Neko Case: Neko Case is the bomb. Everything she does is amazing and this song in particular is awesome.

5. Werewolf- Fiona Apple: Because any break up that didn't get mended by Fiona Apple is a break up done wrong.

6. I Love You But I'm Lost- Sharon Van Etten: This song will make you cry. It's so beautifully honest, I didn't even know what to do with myself. The lyrics are something fierce, so good.

7. Gypsy- Fleetwood Mac: I love Stevie.

8. This Tornado Loves You- Neko Case: Because every break up comes with a little destruction.

9. Breezeblocks- Alt-J: Sweet jam.

10. Lover's Spit- Broken Social Scene: Because we all love some Broken Social Scene.

11. For What It's Worth- Buffalo Springfield: You know why.

12. I Still Do- The Cranberries: Yep.

13. Have You Ever Seen the Rain- CCR: This is one of my favorite CCR songs and it's amazing.

14. Tiny Vessels- Death Cab for Cutie: Well, it's a depressing masterpiece.

15. Shame, Shame- Dr. Dog: It's a story, and you know it well.

16. Ooh La La- The Faces: Because we all wish we knew what we know now when we were younger.

17. Let It Die- Feist: This goes out to all my girls who just won't let it die. It's for the best.

18. Omission- John Frusciante: This song is pretty rad.

19. Ride- Lana Del Rey: The best when you're driving, but she captures that feeling you get when you just want to get away from it all, and we all do.

20. Your Legs Grow- Nada Surf: This song is beautiful.

21. Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd: We all know it hurts, but Pink Floyd will be there for you.

22. Many Shades of Black- The Raconteurs: There's many.

23. I Never- Rilo Kiley: Jenny Lewis is amazing. This song really pinpoints all the things we do to better ourselves for another.

24. Free Fallin'- Tom Petty: Nothing in divorce does not feel like a free fall.

25. Let Me Know- The Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It's cute and you know you love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment